Crunchy raw celery root and fennel come together in this fresh, healthy salad that gets a flavor pop from a lemon vinaigrette. It's topped with dill and avocado slices for a complete gluten free, vegan meal.
It's a big day on Tasting Page. The celery root is making it's debut. Yes, you've seen celery stalks in many recipes and iterations here, but the poor root has never had its time to shine. Until today, when it stars in this healthy, raw fennel, celeriac salad with dill and avocado.
Celery root, or celeriac, is not the prettiest of vegetables. It may have scared you in the supermarket before. I know I've always been a little intimidated. You may have thought it was a giant, hairy turnip, but if you just peel back it's exterior layers, you'll reveal, well, a slicker looking odd shaped creature. It's not until you start cutting the root, that you begin to smell it's sweetness, and understand why it's here.
The bigger shape of the celery bulb is perfect for the spiralizer, who hasn't gotten a workout since my edamame zucchini noodles. It was fun to pull it out and use on the celeriac, as well as the fennel. If you don't have a spiralizer, you can use a mandolin or sharp knife and steady hand.
With shaved celery and fennel, this healthy salad gets a zippy lemon vinaigrette with a fresh dill punch and some creamy avocado slices. The avocado makes it feel like more of a meal that you could eat for a well balanced lunch.
I like to let the flavors come together for a little while in the refrigerator before eating. Because the fennel and celeriac are both hearty in texture, this salad will keep in the fridge for several days, and only get better.
So a big welcome to the celery root on Tasting Page. Look forward to seeing you more often.
Celery Root Fennel Salad with Dill and Avocado
- 1 small celeriac (celery) root
- 1 medium fennel bulb
- 1 tablespoon shallots, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice and the zest of 1/2 lemon
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Take a small, sharp knife and cut the exterior skin off the celery root. You want to remove all of the skin until you see white flesh. Then use a spiralizer, mandolin or knife to cut the celeriac into thin strands.
- Remove the fronds and tough exterior from the fennel and use the spiralizer, mandolin or sharp knife to cut into thin strands.
- In a small bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients together and then toss with the shaved celeriac and fennel. Allow to refrigerate a few hours before eating, if you can wait. Will keep in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
Looking for more salad inspiration? Try my recipe for fennel and radish salad with orange.