This gluten free, egg free, coconut lime baked chicken has all the flavor of your favorite comfort food, without any of the processed ingredients, making for a healthier, tastier dinner.
Thanks to Foster Farms Simply Raised Chicken for sponsoring this post. All opinions are my own.
Ah comfort food. That used to mean something completely different to me than it does now. Pizza, burgers and fried chicken were probably the comfort food dream team for me back in the day. Those foods, in their overly processed, greasy state, would send me straight into a food coma. Luckily, there are healthier, less coma-inducing ways to enjoy some modern day comfort food, like my recipe today for gluten free coconut lime baked chicken.
I remember when fried chicken was really just all about eating the caked on, crispy crust. I wasn’t that interested in the chicken itself, but the exterior would be oh so good, and of course, leave a greasy trail from my chin to my elbows. I decided to try and recreate an equally tasty crust using natural, antibiotic-free chicken, and only whole, clean eating ingredients.
Where to start with this feel-good meal? The chicken of course. I’m all about shopping and eating local, so I’m thrilled that Foster Farms Simply Raised Chicken is raised right here on the West Coast. Better still, they use 100% vegetarian feed, no antibiotics, hormones or steroids, and they’re American Human Certified. Now that’s a good foundation to build a meal.
To complement the chicken, I knew I wanted my chicken crust to also use other natural ingredients, so I went with a pecan, coconut exterior to give both texture and flavor. Since I have an egg allergy, I found a way around by using coconut milk to bind everything together. Dairy free and gluten free chicken – you gotta love that kind of new comfort food!
I also avoided frying these guys as they really don’t need it. You batter and roll them, and then just slide them into a dish to pop in the oven and dinner is on the table within the hour.
This gluten free coconut lime baked chicken is classy enough to serve to company, but easy enough to enjoy for a weekday dinner with you and your family or friends. The best part is that after you eat, you won’t need to prepare for a big food coma, since you’ll have eaten cleanly and naturally.
Gluten Free Coconut Lime Baked Chicken
- 1 pound Foster Farms Simply Raised Chicken
- ½ cup coconut milk – full fat, BPA-free can
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ¼ gluten free panko
- ½ cup pecans
- ½ cup unsweetened, desiccated coconut
- Salt to taste
- Optional dipping sauce: dairy free hemp lime cream
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Carefully open the coconut milk. You want to take the thickest part of the coconut milk, which often resides directly on top. Scoop ½ cup of this milk out and place in wide, shallow bowl. Use the rest of the coconut milk in a smoothie or other recipe. Add the lime juice to the coconut milk and whisk until smooth.
- Place the panko, pecans and coconut in a food processor and pulse into you get a crumbly texture. It’s ok to still have some crunchy pieces, but I try not to process it into a super fine flour as I like a little bite. Put the mixture in a separate wide, low bowl and season with salt.
- Rinse and pat each piece of chicken dry. Then take a piece and place in the coconut lime mixture and coat on all sides. Then dredge the chicken in the nut mixture, ensuring it adheres to all sides. Repeat with all the chicken pieces. Place the chicken in a large, non-stick sprayed glass pyrex, and then slide into the oven.
- Bake for about 15 minutes and then flip. Check the chicken in another 10 minutes. If it’s browned on all sides, it’s done. Serve immediately. Optional: serve my dairy free hemp lime cream as a dipping sauce.
This post has been sponsored by Foster Farms Simply Raised Chicken. All opinions are always my own.