Cooked and cooled, crisp asparagus combines with creamy avocado and a lemon mint walnut vinaigrette for a great summer salad that travels well to the office or your outdoor parties.
I can live on salads in the summer, as you can probably tell from my recent summer salad round-up. There's always one more salad to add to the list though. I'm still seeing asparagus at the farmer's market, and the one's I saw this week we're super thin and I thought those would taste really good in a cool salad with some avocado and a nutty lemon, walnut vinaigrette.
I love the smokiness the grill gives to vegetables, but you can also poach the asparagus in a little water. Just be sure not to overcook them because no one wants limp veggies in their salad.
It's crazy how we had June gloom in LA the last few weeks with cool temps and then this week we've hit the 80s and 90s, so I didn't even want to stand over my grill. I used my grill pan instead for cooking the asparagus.
I let the asparagus cool after cooking, and then mixed it with the vinaigrette. If you're going to eat this salad over a few days, add the avocado and walnuts just before consuming so it all still tastes fresh.
I think the flavors get even better after refrigerating. It also makes it transportable for work, BBQs and picnics. Pour a crisp Chablis and enjoy a warm summer evening with this asparagus avocado salad.
Asparagus Avocado Salad with Walnut Vinaigrette
Serves 4 side salads
- 2 bunches of thin asparagus, trimmed
- 1 avocado, seed and skin removed
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon shallots, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil
- 3 tablespoons toasted walnuts, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Poach or grill the asparagus until cooked, but still crisp. Allow to cool and then chop into bite size pieces.
- Place the Dijon, shallots, mint, lemon and vinegar in a bowl and whisk. Slowly add the oil until combined, and then season with salt and pepper. Add the asparagus pieces to the bowl and stir.
- Slice the avocado into half moons and add to salad.
- Top with walnuts and season if necessary.