Is it me or does grilled food just taste better in the summer? I live in Los Angeles so I can grill year around, but there's something about the cooking and eating of food outside that just seems to amp up the flavor. The produce is so wonderful that I feel like I just need to put fresh food on the grill and bam, insta-great meal like this grilled cabbage with Asian lime dressing.
You really could be done with this dish in two easy steps. You need a little oil so it doesn't stick to the grill, and you need some seasoning to bring out the flavor and the cabbage's natural sweetness. That's only two steps when you pick a good seasoning. I talked about Real Salt when I was back at the grill with my vegetable salad. They're the real deal, producing a quality product in the best possible way. There's no heating, bleaching, or processing, which can all lead to an unhealthy manufactured salt, devoid of any nutritional value. Real Salt comes from the sea in the most natural way, keeping the 60+ trace minerals in tact, and delivering a great taste with many health benefits.
You already know all of this, right? Then hopefully you've graduated to their Organic Seasoning Salt. This is a staple now in my kitchen because it's a one stop seasoning with Real Salt, Organic Onion, Organic Coriander, Organic Mustard, Organic Black Pepper, Organic Paprika, Organic Celery Seed, Organic Turmeric, and Organic Parsley. What else do you need? Well, some fresh produce to be the seasoning recipient, and we have that with our Organic Napa Cabbage.
This is so easy, and makes for a nice presentation. While the grill heats, grab a big Napa Cabbage and cut it into 8 wedges, making sure to keep the core on so the pieces stay together. You're then going to douse the cabbage with some olive oil and Real Salt's Organic Seasoning Salt, and throw it on the grill, cut side down. After a few minutes you'll get some nice char marks and then flip to the other side to get matching lines. And voila, you could eat it just like this and be happy. Or...
You could throw on a light Asian lime flavored dressing to turn it into more of a salad. This dressing punches up the flavor even more. Not sure which you prefer? Keep the dressing on the side and dip when the mood strikes. Summer or not, this is a nice grilled cabbage recipe that you can eat all year around.
Grilled Cabbage with Asian Lime Dressing
Makes 8 wedges
- 1 large Napa cabbage
- 2 tablespoons + 2 tablespoons of olive oil, divided
- Real Salt Organic Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, stems removed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced or grated
- 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lemongrass, minced
- 1 tablespoon nam pla fish sauce (if vegan, use liquid aminos or soy sauce)
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Take the cabbage and chop into 8 wedges of equal size. Keep the core on so the pieces stay in tact. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, or enough to cover the wedges. Gently shake the real salt organic seasoning over both sides of the cabbage.
- Make sure the grill is clean and oiled before placing the cabbage on. Put the cut side down and cook until grill marks are achieved, about 3-5 minutes, and then flip and repeat until both sides have a nice char, but are still firm enough to maintain their shape.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing by whisking the cilantro, ginger, lime, lemongrass, nam pla and remaining olive oil together. Arrange the wedges on a platter and sprinkle with dressing or serve on the side.
Real Salt compensated me for this post, but all opinions are always my own. Thank you for supporting the people that support me!