My name is Kelly Page and I grew up, and loved, eating Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. There, I said it. I’m not ashamed. Don’t tell me you didn’t fight to add the mystery, neon colored, powdered cheese packet to the pot? Now that I’m grown, my tastes have changed, but my love for mac and cheese has not.
My grown-up mac and cheese no longer includes any powered product, but rather I've upgraded to a more sophisticated aged cheddar and gruyère.
I even throw in some chorizo since I'm now addicted to A Cut Above, my local, well sourced butcher shop.
And I also add kale because if there's one thing I’ve never forgotten since I was a kid, it’s to always eat my vegetables!
Macaroni and Cheese with Kale and Chorizo
- 10 ounces macaroni
- 8 ounces chorizo, casings removed
- 1 bunch mustard greens
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups milk, room temperature
- 1 ¼ cup shredded aged cheddar
- ¾ cup shredded gruyere
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, but remove two minutes earlier than suggested since it will spend additional time baking in the oven.
- Brown the chorizo in a fry pan, breaking up the pieces until it’s cooked through.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and quickly blanch the mustard greens by immersing in water for 1 minute, then remove from pot and rinse with cold water. Dry greens and reserve.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add butter. Once melted, add flour, stirring to combine. Cook 2 minutes and then add the milk while continuously whisking. Reduce heat to low and once the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, begin adding the cheese in batches, stirring the entire time. Leave a handful of cheese to top the pasta before baking. When a smooth, thick consistency is reached, add the cayenne, cumin and smoked paprika. Combine sauce with pasta, chorizo and mustard greens and stir.
- Pour all mixed ingredients into a greased 9 x 9-inch baking dish. Top with the remaining cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake for 15 minutes or until brown and bubbly on top.