Anyone have any pumpkin left? Anyone tired of pumpkin yet?
Here's one last pumpkin recipe for the season. This one is super easy, and the magic all happens overnight while you sleep.
All you have to do is pile a bunch of ingredients you like into a mason jar and when you wake up in the morning, you'll have breakfast. OK, I'll give a little more detail or you might end up starting your day with a pizza - spaghetti mash.
Chia seeds are a great thickener, not to mention a great source of Omega 3's, protein, fiber and calcium. So you want those. Oats are a nice filler to help with a hearty breakfast. The aforementioned pumpkin is also full of fiber, vitamins and antioxidants. Dates will lighten and sweeten things up and then all you need to do is add a few spices and you're good to go.
Make a big batch on Sunday, and you'll have breakfast for the week.
Overnight Pumpkin Oats
- 1 cup gluten free old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 dates, seeded and chopped
- 1-1/2 cups coconut or almond milk
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a mason jar and mix well. You can use one large jar or separate into 4 for individual servings. Allow to sit overnight before eating, stirring once after a few hours. In the morning, top with nuts or other fruit. Keep refrigerated.
Interested in more overnight oats ideas? Try my apple cinnamon overnight oats recipe.