This roast chicken and cinnamon yam salad comes together quickly, and packs a healthy and delicious punch for lunch or dinner.
You ever have one of those days where 6pm strikes and you just want to crawl into bed with exhaustion? Except that you're hungry, and the lone bottle of hot sauce in the fridge is not going to make a meal. That's often Monday for me. And sometimes Tuesday if I don't catch it. On days like that, I know I need healthy food, but mustering the energy to put it together feels out of reach. I have some healthy help that includes a recipe for an easy roast chicken and cinnamon yam salad.
The help comes from Eat Smart Gourmet Vegetable Salad Kits. These kits don't just give you a bag of stale iceberg with a boring vinaigrette. Each of their 7 different kits contains 5 or more superfoods, ensuring you have a convenient and healthy way to get your greens on. The Eat Smart Kale Salad kit, for instance, contains heavy hitters like kale, cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprouts, chicory and roasted pumpkin seeds. It would take me far too long at the grocery store at the end of long Monday to get all of those ingredients together.
I enjoyed working with the Eat Smart Roasted Yam Salad Kit. It has kale and both red and green cabbage, alongside brussels sprouts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and a custom-made vinaigrette. It was Tuesday when I got it, so I had a little extra pep in my step and decided to warm up the greens and spice the yams in a skillet with some antioxidant rich cinnamon. Heating your greens can be easier on your digestion and I like the slightly sweetened flavor a few minutes in the pan lends.
You can add your favorite protein here like I did with some diced chicken, or you can make it tofu or even white beans if you want to stay vegan. You can also just dump and pour the bag ingredients in a bowl and have an instant meal in seconds. Now that's something I can handle on a Monday.
Roast Chicken and Cinnamon Yam Salad
- Eat Smart Roasted Yam Salad Kit
- 1/2 pound roast chicken, diced (or other protein of choice - shrimp, tofu, white beans)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Remove the yams from their package and place in skillet with the cinnamon and warm for about 1 minute. Add the greens with a little salt and stir for 1-2 minutes until the greens begins to glisten, but not completely wilt. Combine with chicken or your protein of choice, and take off heat. Dress salad with the enclosed vinaigrette and enjoy!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.