Is it just me or do wine and cocktails just taste that much better in the warm summer sun with a cool breeze blowing? I recently covered great summer wines under $25, but if wine isn't your thing (and if it isn't, what's wrong with you?) or if you've already drank your way through the list, I have more alternatives, starting with the summer cocktail. I've given you the zippy jalapeno mint moscow mule, so now let's focus on a fresh fruit drink using mango, orange, lime and mint.
I find some cocktails to be too sweet and I hate all the sugar that gets added. This drink contains no added refined sugar. It gets its sweetness from the natural fresh fruit juice of the mango, orange and lime.
A little jalapeno gives a nice kick to the drink. Adjust the quantity according to your taste and jalapeno love levels.
I used tequila in this cocktail, but vodka or rum could also work, or simply top with more sparkling water for a non-alcoholic alternative to keep you cool all summer long
Spicy Mango Citrus Cocktail
- 1 lime - cut into 8 wedges
- 10-15 fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 jalapeno, de-stemmed and seeded
- 1 orange - cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup fresh mango puree (blended mango)
- 1/2 cup coconut water
- 4 ounces tequila
- 1/4 cup sparkling water
- Place the lime, mint and jalapeno in a mixing glass and use a muddler to release all the juices. Squeeze the juice of the orange in the glass. You can also throw in the orange rinds and do a little more muddling. Add the mango puree, coconut water, tequila (if using) and ice, cover and shake until combined. Use a strainer to separate the juice from the rinds and mint.
- Fill two highball glasses with ice and pour the mango mixture over. Top with sparkling water. Stir and serve.