Thank you to Arla Dofino for sponsoring this gluten free cauliflower pancake recipe. All opinions are always my own, like my opinion that this cauliflower pancake is going to be a crowd pleaser at your next family breakfast!
Breakfast often gets the shaft. At the holidays, it's all about the main event - dinner. Of course holiday dinners are fabulously festive and quite a bit of preparation goes into making them. Hopefully you're lucky like me and have two brothers who want to take over the star dish and do dueling turkeys - wet brine vs dry brine, oven vs smoker. FYI, the wet brine in the smoker was the big winner this Thanksgiving at my house. With turkeys taken care of and sister-in-laws that like to cook as much as me, I was able to actually think about other things, like breakfast.
Breakfast is often an after thought, or you're digging back into turkey leftovers before lunch like my brothers. Not everyone has the time or energy to think past some fruit or cereal, but I like to use breakfast as another shot at redemption after a big carb heavy meal. I know I was much more focused this Thanksgiving on eating smoked turkey and stuffing, rather than salads and green beans. So I came up with a breakfast recipe that is not only easy, but also contains some vegetables to help jump start your day.
I'm a big fan of Arla Dofino's chipotle gouda. It has a nice level of smokiness to elevate the cauliflower and of course it tastes great so I could use it as a selling point for my nephews and nieces who will eat anything with cheese in it - including vegetables! All of Arla Dofino's cheese, including havarti, edam, muenster and fontina, are hormone and preservative free so there are wins across the board.
Now here's your gluten free, chipotle gouda laced cauliflower pancake to start your day, and of course what day isn't enhanced with a protein rich egg on top!
Gluten Free Cauliflower Pancake
Makes about 12 pancakes
- 2 cups cauliflower
- 1/2 cup leek, cleaned and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 eggs + additional eggs for topping
- 1/2 cup Arla Dofino smoked gouda
- 1-1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place cauliflower in food processor and pulse until coarse. You want a little texture, but no large chunks. Put processed cauliflower in a large glass bowl.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of the coconut oil in a pan and add leek. Stir until translucent, then add the garlic and stir for another 30 seconds. Remove from heat and add leaks and garlic to cauliflower, along with the parsley, flour, egg and gouda. Mix thoroughly and season with salt and pepper.
- Place 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a large skillet. Once hot, place a spoonful of cauliflower mix in the pan, pressing down with the back of a spatula until about 1/2" thick. Allow to set and brown on the bottom, approximately 5 minutes, and then flip and wait for the pancake to thoroughly cook before plating.
- Meanwhile, crack an egg (or however many you're serving) in a hot, greased skillet. Once whites are solid, flip and season with salt and pepper. Place egg on top of one or two cauliflower pancakes and enjoy!