I love guacamole. If you ever serve some at your house, don't put me near it if you and your other guests would also like some. What's not to like? You have creamy avocados mingling with the fresh flavors of cilantro and lime, along with other zesty spices like cumin and Sriracha. There's good fat in there, but then there's the chip dilemma. I'm trying to avoid processed food and while I'm not afraid of using my fingers, I'm concerned that not only will you not let me near the guac at your party, I fear I'll be left off the invite list entirely.
So I came up with a method for putting all my favorite guacamole ingredients on a skewer so all the flavors remain intact, but there are none of the processed chip issues. Those without issues can empty the skewer on a chip and you'll avoid any potential double scooping problems.
The recipe just requires a little chopping and marinating. Be sure to make the skewers small enough so you can get all the ingredients in your mouth in one bite to enjoy all the guac flavors mingling together at one time.
They're great for summer entertaining and parties. I'm just hoping I'll still be invited now!
Guacamole Deconstructed & Skewered
Makes about 20
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and cored
- 6 ounces feta cheese block, not crumbles
- 2 dozen small cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Sriracha
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 20 short wooden skewers or toothpicks
- Cut the avocado and feta cheese into pieces the same size as the tomato.
- Place the cilantro in a bowl with the garlic, cumin, pepper, Sriracha and 1 tablespoon of the lime juice. Whisk to combine and then slowly add the olive oil and mix.
- Gently place the avocado, feta and tomatoes into the marinade, turning to coat all sides. Allow to sit for at least one hour in the refrigerator.
- Take out the ingredients and begin to thread them on the skewers. When complete, pour the last tablespoon of lime juice on top and serve immediately.