Curry lime roasted sweet potatoes have just the right amount of sweetness and flavor to make you crave this healthy, gluten free and vegan side dish every night of the week!
Ah, the sweet potato. Sometimes it gets lost in the evil carb debate. Too much of the wrong kind of carbohydrate is not good for your system. Bad carbs include the processed, refines one's like white bread, potato chips and sugary sodas. That's the stuff that spikes your blood sugar and can cause diabetes and other health issues. We're talking about good carbs today like these curry lime roasted sweet potatoes.
Carbs help fuel your body and can be a great addition to your diet, in moderation. Make sure you pick a carb that's unprocessed and full of fiber so it's slowly digested for an even release with no sugar spike. Sweet potatoes provide a good amount of fiber, along with the sweet tasting fructose, for balanced digestion, not to mention, great taste.
It's also important to note that if you are going to include carbs in your diet, it's best to eat them later in the day. You'll have better energy and your blood sugar will be better balanced. I know for me, it also helps with sleep when I have my curry lime sweet potatoes with dinner.
If you're thinking that my sweet potatoes look like yams or straight up white potatoes, a quick note about colors and the tuber family. There are two major sweet potatoes categories. There's the one I have pictured in this recipe with white flesh and brown skin, and then there's the one that you might think of more often with reddish skin and orange interior like here. The orange one's are softer and when baked get even creamier. The lighter one's hold their shape more when cooked and are a little less sweet. You may need to adjust your cooking time, depending on which you use.
Since I used the lighter sweet potato, I cooked them almost 45 minutes, but you shouldn't need that long with the orange variety. I love the fiery acidic combination of curry and lime, like I used in my sugar free spiced nuts. The taste curbs my sweet tooth, fill me up and gets me ready for a good night's sleep. You can't beat that!
Curry Lime Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 1-1/2 pound light skinned sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into uniform 1/4" pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (I used Muchi Curry)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Toss the sweet potatoes in the olive oil, curry powder and salt. Place on the baking sheet and put in the oven. Stir after 20 minutes, and then cook approximately another 20 minutes, until cooked through and starting to brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Add the lime juice to the potatoes and enjoy!