This kale sweet potato white bean skillet is an easy go-to meal that uses just one pan, making for a healthy gluten free and vegan dinner that can be prepped with little fuss.
Today I'm giving you one of my go-to recipes that I eat all the time. I never thought to write it up because it just started as one of those kitchen sink meals. You know the dinner that comes together with whatever is in the fridge. Kale is always in my house as you can probably tell with my never ending supply of leafy green recipes. Now, you get a whole meal with this one dish kale sweet potato white bean skillet.
I've just completed a Health Coaching degree, so I've been paying a lot (more) attention to the food that goes on my plate. I do always try and use healthy ingredients, but I'm now focusing on making sure I have all the right food groups represented at each meal. So instead of just eating chicken with a side of roasted broccoli, I make sure there's some healthy fat and carbs in there too.
You should make it a goal to try and eat fat, fiber and protein at every meal. Eating the three together keeps your blood levels in check and your insulin consistent. This in turn makes sure you're not putting fat into storage, and no one wants extra fat in storage.
Of course all fats are not created equal. Aim for healthy fats like nuts, seeds, avocados, extra virgin olive oil and coconut milk. I threw whole fat coconut milk in this recipe. Don't get the lite stuff. That's just the real deal watered down and why lose money on that. Just use less of the full fat coconut milk, and you can even dilute it with water to make it go farther.
You'll get both fiber and protein from kale, sweet potatoes and the white beans, so it's a culinary home run. If you know that you need more protein in your diet, you can always add chicken, shrimp or tofu to this to up your levels even more.
Not only is this kale sweet potato white bean skillet healthy by hitting your fat, fiber and protein buckets, it also happens to taste really good too. And it's always important to make a meal that you enjoy!
Kale Sweet Potato White Bean Skillet
- 1-1/2 tablespoons coconut oil (divided)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cleaned, peeled and diced into equal, small 1/4" cubes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 large bunch of organic kale, chopped with ribs removed (try this recipe with the kale stems)
- 1 BPA-free can of cannellini beans
- 1/2 BPA-free can of full fat coconut milk
- Red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Place the onion in the pan and sauté until translucent, and then add the sweet potatoes and cover for about 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, cumin and curry powder, and remove from the pan.
- Add 1 tablespoon coconut oil to the pan and then throw in the kale. Lightly salt and pepper. You can add more seasoning at the end if desired. Stir until the kale is slightly wilted and then add the coconut milk and cover. Allow to cook for about 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Combine the cooked sweet potatoes, cannellini beans and red pepper with the kale. Stir and cover for a few minutes, until heated through. Adjust the seasoning as necessary and serve.