This orange carrot ginger smoothie is a great way to get your daily dose of fruits and vegetables. It's packed with vitamins and antioxidants for a healthy way to start the day.
Sometimes you just have to get your dose of healthy fruit and vegetables in quickly. The cleaning, chopping, cooking of it all can be a bit much, especially when grab and go donuts and croissants are at the ready, but there is an easier way. With a high-speed blender, you can have a nutritious drink like this orange carrot ginger smoothie in your belly before you can even say jelly stuffed, glazed donut.
Let's have a look at the orange smoothie line-up.
- Carrots: Chock full of beta-carotene and vitamin A, which means good for your eyes, skin, liver, teeth, and heart. Then there's the potassium (it's not just in bananas), fiber, vitamin K, folate, magnesium and the list goes on. Carrots are good for you. Got it?
- Oranges: You know these are vitamin C powerhouses, not to mention full of potassium, calcium, vitamin A, B-6, folate, and antioxidants. There's a reason you drink orange juice when you're sick.
- Ginger: As if you need any more reason to drink this smoothie, in comes ginger. Ginger is great for digestion, can help with circulation and reduces inflammation.
All you have to do is throw these ingredients in a Vitamix and off you go to healthy town.
And the good thing about turning this into a smoothie versus straight juice is that you retain all the fiber, as well as the nutrients from the skin and pulp.
There's the option to throw in my friend and anti-inflammation fighter, turmeric. We are talking about an orange juice here, so you could go full out with the orangest of spices, turmeric. You can also include coconut water for some increased hydration if you've just done a big workout.
And because there's some naturally occurring sugar in this orange carrot ginger smoothie, I like eating some fat with it to slow down the absorption. That will also help with putting your turmeric to work too. I usually do celery with nut butter to get some healthy fat in with my fruit smoothie.
Enjoy the bright nutrition of this orange carrot ginger smoothie.
Orange Carrot Ginger Smoothie
- 2 organic carrots, washed, but not peeled (if not using organic, peel)
- 2 organic oranges, peeled
- 2 inch slice of fresh ginger
- 1 cup of water (can include coconut water if desired)
- 1-2 pitted dates (optional for added sweetness)
- 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric & 1 teaspoon ground pepper (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a high speed blender and mix until smooth. Enjoy!