These salmon cucumber roll ups are a great holiday party appetizer. They're easy to assemble and a nice gluten free, dairy free hors d'oeuvre.
It seems like just last week I was rolling my eyes about all of the Christmas decorations I was seeing everywhere. Now, I'm digging through storage, looking for my own holiday decor to put up. This is always such a busy time of year with obligations, shopping and parties, so I thought I'd give you an easy to make holiday appetizer of salmon cucumber roll ups.
A little while ago, I posted a back-to-school cucumber roll ups using sunflower tahini sauce. People seemed to eat those up, so I thought I'd step up the ingredient list in the rolls, and include salmon for the holidays.
I'm always struggling to find a healthy appetizer that's both gluten free and dairy free. I cut out the typical cream cheese accompaniment to salmon, and replaced it with a vegan dill hemp cream. It's got a nutty kick that also works as a dipping sauce with a vegetable platter.
The only thing you have to do is blend the dill hemp cream and slice the cucumber super thin. You can use a sharp knife or a mandolin to get the thin pieces. From there, it's just layer, roll and toothpick.
These gluten free, dairy free salmon cucumber roll ups are one less thing off your hectic holiday entertaining to-do list!
Salmon Cucumber Dill Roll Ups - Dairy Free, Gluten Free
Makes about 20 roll ups
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dill, chopped
- 3 - 4 tablespoons water
- 2 large seedless cucumbers
- 6 ounces smoked salmon, trimmed to fit on cucumber slice
- Place the pine nuts, hemp seeds, lemon juice, dill and 3 tablespoons of water in a high speed food processor and blend until smooth. Add more water if it's too thick.
- Using a mandolin, vegetable peeler or sharp knife, slice the cucumber lengthwise. Pat the cucumber dry on both sides. Spread a layer of the dill hemp cream on top, followed by a slice of salmon. Roll up from one side and secure with a toothpick. Serve immediately.