These salmon cucumber roll ups are a great holiday party appetizer. They're easy to assemble and a nice gluten free, dairy free hors d'oeuvre.
It seems like just last week I was rolling my eyes about all of the Christmas decorations I was seeing everywhere. Now, I'm digging through storage, looking for my own holiday decor to put up. This is always such a busy time of year with obligations, shopping and parties, so I thought I'd give you an easy to make holiday appetizer of salmon cucumber roll ups.
A little while ago, I posted a back-to-school cucumber roll ups using sunflower tahini sauce. People seemed to eat those up, so I thought I'd step up the ingredient list in the rolls, and include salmon for the holidays.
I'm always struggling to find a healthy appetizer that's both gluten free and dairy free. For this recipe, I cut out the typical cream cheese accompaniment to salmon and replaced it with my vegan tzatziki, but I also like it with my dill hemp cream. It's got a nutty kick that also works as a dipping sauce with a vegetable platter.
The only thing you have to do is make your preferred sauce and slice the cucumber super thin. You can use a sharp knife or a mandolin to get the thin pieces. From there, it's just layer, roll and secure with a toothpick.
These gluten free, dairy free salmon cucumber roll ups are one less thing off your hectic holiday entertaining to-do list!
Salmon Cucumber Dill Roll Ups - Dairy Free, Gluten Free
Makes about 20 roll ups
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dill, chopped
- 3 - 4 tablespoons water
- 2 large seedless cucumbers
- 6 ounces smoked salmon, trimmed to fit on cucumber slices
- Place the pine nuts, hemp seeds, lemon juice, dill and 3 tablespoons of water in a high speed food processor and blend until smooth. Add more water if it's too thick. Or use my vegan tzatziki instead.
- Using a mandolin, vegetable peeler or sharp knife, slice the cucumber lengthwise. Pat the cucumber dry on both sides. Spread a layer of the dill hemp cream on top, followed by a slice of salmon. Roll up from one side and secure with a toothpick. Serve immediately.