I'm on a summer vegetable roll and I can't be stopped...until fall that is. Then bring on the gourds! Let's not get ahead of ourselves though. There's still more summer vegetables to be had.
People use microwaves who are hoping to keep their oven off and not stand over a hot grill. Don't worry, you don't need to use it for long. It's the time cheat way of cooking a spaghetti squash. You can do the 45 minute thing in the oven if you like, or slice that bad boy in half, throw it face down in a pan with an inch of water and be done in under 15 minutes. You decide.
Once you have your cooked spaghetti squash, the fun begins when you get to slide your fork through the interior and make a gluten free pasta with with the squash strands. We're talking summer here, so a nice light sautéed shrimp is begging to be added to the mix. Then there's the Vegan Spinach and Mint Pesto I just made (recipe here) that is the icing on this healthy vegetable focused dish.
Enjoy the bounty of summer with all of these farm fresh ingredients.
Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Pesto
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 pound of shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Salt and pepper
- Vegan Spinach Mint Pesto (recipe here)
- Carefully slice the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Chopping the ends off will help you gain leverage for cutting through. Place both halves face down in a dish large enough to hold them side by side. Place an inch of water at the bottom of the pan. Microwave for about 15 minutes, turning dish at the halfway mark. Squash will be done when you can easily slide your fork through the skin.
- Meanwhile, heat a medium pan with the coconut oil. Wash and thoroughly dry the shrimp. Season with salt and pepper and then add to the pan. Cook until shrimp is opaque on both sides, 3-5 minutes.
- Once the squash has cooled slightly, take a fork and run it through the interior, making strands. Continue until you hit the skin. Place the squash in a bowl, top with shrimp and pesto and enjoy.
Want more vegetable noodle options? Try one of these.
Appetizers, Sides and Salads
- 8 Grain Bread by What Smells So Good?
- Farm Fresh Gazpacho by An Appealing Plan
- Farmer's Market Potato Salad by Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Fennel and Orange Salad by Feeding Big - and more!
- Gazpacho Shooters with Avocado and Corn Salsa by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Grilled Peach Caprese by A Gouda Life
- Grilled Prosciutto Corn by Palatable Pastime
- Peach Caprese Salad by The Joyful Foodie
- Radish Top Pesto by Our Good Life
- Carrot Ravioli with Broccoli-Ricotta Filling by Caroline's Cooking
- Farmers Market Pizza by Simply Healthy Family
- Farmstand Kebobs with Tahini Dipping Sauce by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Gemista (Greek Stuffed Tomatoes) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Halibut with Sugar Snap Peas, Mushrooms and Potatoes en Papillote by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Spaghetti and Zoodles with Vegetable Bolognese by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Pesto by Tasting Page
- Squash Blossom, Zucchini and Gouda Frittata by FoodieTots
- Sweet Corn Chowder with Crabmeat by The Redhead Baker
- Vegetable and Chicken Shish Kabobs by The Freshman Cook
- Ziti with Bacon and Greens by Cooking Chat
- Chaussons aux Pommes by Food Lust People Love
- Classic Peach Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Dairy Free Peach Mango Lassis with Coconut Whipped Cream by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Lemon Curd Raspberry Crumb Bars by Wallflour Girl
- Lemon Tart by Brunch with Joy
- Peach Berry Cocktail by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Peach Cobbler with Blueberry Biscuits by Food Done Light
- Raspberry Rhubarb Sweet Rolls by Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Triple Cherry Crisp by Pies and Plots