Dive into some spaghetti squash with shrimp and dairy free spinach mint pesto for a healthy gluten free, dairy free meal. This dish can be prepared quickly in the InstantPot and is Paleo and Whole30 friendly.
I love to make veggie noodles. Shall we count the ways? Who can miss carb-laden pasta when you can make pretty strands with many different vegetables.
Ok, Italian friends, I know you can miss it, but for those of us who can't tolerate gluten, veggie noodles are the next best thing. Not to mention that veggie noodles definitely have more vitamins and nutrients than pasta.
Today we're firing up the Instant Pot for a quick and healthy spaghetti squash with shrimp and mint pesto.
It's super easy to make gluten free spaghetti squash "pasta" in the Instant Pot. You just slice the squash lengthwise, remove the seeds, and place the halved squash in the IP with a little water. A few minutes later, you're having fun running your fork across the squash, making veggie strands.
You can also do the 45-minute thing in the oven if you like, or slice that bad boy in half, throw it face down in a pan with an inch of water and be done in under 15 minutes. You decide.
You could include chicken as your protein, but I chose shrimp since it nestles into the dish so nicely.
As far as toppings, there's a simple olive oil garlic sauce that would be a nice combo with these ingredients, or you can top with one of my favorites, dairy free spinach and mint pesto.
If you love making pasta from spaghetti squash then you'll also want to check out my dairy free spaghetti squash chicken alfredo. It's great for the cooler months.
Enjoy your vegetables with this gluten free, dairy free spaghetti squash shrimp pesto.
Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Pesto
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 pound of shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Salt and pepper
- Vegan Spinach Mint Pesto (recipe here)
- Cut the spaghetti squash lengthwise into two pieces. Scoop out the seeds and pulp until smooth inside. If you have an Instant Pot, place the squash cut side up on a steamer trivet inside the pressure cooker. Add one cup of water to the bottom of the Instant Pot. Cover and hit manual and adjust the time to 5 minutes. When it's done cooking, release the valve at the top and let the steam escape. If you don't have an Instant Pot, place the cut spaghetti squash cut side down in a preheated 400F oven and bake approximately 40 minutes or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, heat a medium pan with the coconut oil. Wash and thoroughly dry the shrimp. Season with salt and pepper and then add to the pan. Cook until shrimp is opaque on both sides, 3-5 minutes.
- Once the squash has cooled slightly, take a fork and run it through the interior, making strands. Continue until you hit the skin. Place the squash in a bowl, top with shrimp and pesto and enjoy.