Light up the grill for these vegetable kebabs with cilantro chimichurri. They can be a nice side dish or load up for a full meal that's vegan, gluten free and dairy free.
Vegetables are one of my favorite things to throw on the BBQ.
Today's vegetable kebabs with cilantro chimichurri address one of my biggest beefs (pun intended) with throwing veggies on the grill.
My veggie grilling pet peeve is two-fold.
One, the vegetables often take up the whole grill and two, it can be hard to flip them and move them around.
Two problems solved with the vegetable kebab.
Making a vegetable skewer keeps all of the ingredients together, making for a more compact work area, and easy flipping, or rather, rolling.
I just give them a little nudge and they're on their way to the perfect, all around, char.
You can certainly eat theses vegetable skewers as is, but I always love a good sauce, so I made a fresh herb cilantro chimichurri.
It's a good sauce for a lot of things.
If you decide to grill some steak, chicken, fish or tofu with these kebabs, slather the sauce across it all. And ideally, with these compact veggie skewers, you'll have room on the grill for everything!
Vegetable Kebabs with Cilantro Chimichurri
Serves 4-6 people
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced into 1" rounds
- 2 medium yellow squash, sliced into 1" rounds
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/2" pieces to match the vegetables
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded, cut into 1/2" pieces to match the size of the vegetables
- 2 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 3 cloves of fresh garlic
- 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt to taste
- Soak bamboo skewers in water for a minimum of 30 minutes or use metal skewers. Put the peppers on each end and rotate zucchini, squash and onion pieces in the middle. Feel free to substitute your favorite vegetable. Drizzle with avocado or olive oil.
- Turn the grill to medium-high. Once warm, place the vegetable kebabs on the grill. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side or until the desired color is reached. Remove from grill when cooked through.
- While the kebabs are cooking, put all of the chimichurri ingredients in a blender, drizzling the water at the end until desired consistency is reached. Season with salt to finish.
- Serve the kebabs with the chimichurri.