I'm going to need to apologize to my sister-in-law right now since she's a master baker and sweet maker and she no doubt just cringed at my title. I myself was a bit reluctant to put avocado and chocolate together, but seeing as I'm trying to eliminate dairy as well as refined sugar and flour from my diet, I needed to experiment. And with the holidays around the corner, I thought it would make sense to have some healthier dessert options on hand. Avocado provides some sustenance and creaminess to a dish so why not give it a try.
I've discussed the health benefit of cacao. Yes, there are benefits to eating chocolate. I think I got my sister-in-law's attention again. Specifically raw cacao is cold pressed, unroasted, unprocessed. The good for you substances don't get roasted off so cacao is packed with antioxidants, fiber, magnesium, protein, calcium and essential fatty acids.
Add to that the many benefits of avocados and bananas, and you may not even feel guilty eating this sweet treat for breakfast!
Avocado Banana Cacao Mousse
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and cubed
- 1 banana, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder or nibs
- 1/4 coconut or almond milk
- 2 tablespoons honey (or a few Stevia drops if vegan)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Place all ingredients in a blender and pulse into smooth. Adjust milk for a thicker or thinner consistency. Refrigerate to allow to further set and then serve. Optional: top with chopped nuts.