If you're trying to avoid dairy and refined sugar, you're going to want to check out this recipe for avocado banana chocolate mousse.
I'm going to need to apologize to my sister-in-law right now since she's a master baker and sweet maker and she no doubt just cringed at my title. I myself was a bit reluctant to put avocado and chocolate together, but seeing as I've eliminated dairy as well as refined sugar and flour from my diet, I needed to experiment, and thus, this avocado banana chocolate mousse recipe was born.
I've discussed the health benefit of cacao. Yes, there are benefits to eating chocolate. I think I got my sister-in-law's attention again. Specifically, raw cacao is cold pressed, unroasted, and unprocessed. The good for you substances don't get roasted off so cacao is packed with antioxidants, fiber, magnesium, protein, calcium and essential fatty acids.
So you need to mix a few things in with the chocolate to get the mousse-like texture. Avocado not only brings in some nice creaminess, but you're also getting added protein.
Coconut milk brings some good richness to this healthy dessert, while also evening out the consistency. I often like to top my avocado banana chocolate mousse with some roasted walnuts for some crunch texture.
Add to that the many benefits of avocados and bananas, and you may not even feel guilty eating this sweet treat for breakfast!
Avocado Banana Cacao Mousse
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and cubed
- 1 banana, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder or nibs
- 1/4 cup coconut or almond milk
- 2 tablespoons honey (or a few Stevia drops if vegan)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Place all ingredients in a blender and pulse into smooth. Adjust milk for a thicker or thinner consistency. Refrigerate to allow to further set and then serve. Optional: top with chopped nuts.