These blueberry oat bars are so healthy that you can eat them for breakfast or dessert. They're gluten free, vegan and free from refined sugar and a great snack.
I just shared with you the easy, 4 ingredient recipe for blueberry chia seed jam. You've been slathering this sweet jam on anything with a surface, but I think you're ready for more. That's why I'm bringing you these blueberry oat bars.
You can guess the filling, and the oat bars, pretty self-explanatory. I used some gluten free oats, combined with some walnuts for crunch and texture. Coconut oil and applesauce sweeten things up a bit, so much so, that I just don't think you need any added sugar, or even honey.
I served these at my recent tea party and I thought they were a perfect pairing to some of the teas and other sweet treats.
These will be more on the savory side, which is a good thing in my book. It means blueberry oat bars for breakfast!
Blueberry Oat Bars
Makes About 12 Squares
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2-1/2 cups gluten free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup applesauce (look for just apples on the label, no filler)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup blueberry chia seed jam (recipe here)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place the chia seeds in a bowl with 3 tablespoons of water, stir and put in refrigerator.
- Blend 1 cup of the oats in a food processor until fine. Place in a large bowl, and then put the walnuts in the food processor and pulse until the big chunks are gone, but there's still some texture. Add to the bowl, along with the baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Stir and then add the chia mixture, applesauce and coconut oil.
- Place parchment over an 8 x 8 pan so there's a lip to later remove the bars. Take at least half of the mixture and cover the bottom of the pan. Then add a layer of blueberry jam, and top with the remaining oat mix. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until brown and toasty on top. Cool and pull parchment from the pan to remove the bars. Cut into squares and enjoy.