This recipe is a compensated post and part of a Sun Harvest - Smart & Final shop hosted by social shopped media company Collective Bias. All opinions are always mine alone. #ChooseSmart #CollectiveBias.
I threw my dad a surprise birthday party recently. He had a great time, and the guests seemed to really enjoy themselves as well. Success? Weeellllll, I didn't quite have as much fun as others because I had spent the previous 2 weeks running around Los Angeles pulling all the party items together. There's the liquor store, grocery store, drug store and the list goes on.
Smart & Final was one of my pre-party stops as it has always been my go-to for party supplies. They have warehouse size items, but I like that I don't need to pay to be a member to shop there. I stock up on drinks, reusable plates, glasses and turbo size party snacks. I must admit though that I had always looked elsewhere for my organic produce and meats thinking that wasn't one of their specialties.
Then I learned that Smart & Final is carrying the natural, organic Sun Harvest Brand, and that they've just relaunched a whole new look. They have a range of organic products including fresh baby spinach, honey, quinoa, beans and vegetables. They even have free range, hormone free chicken. Score. I gathered a slew of earth-friendly products and went home to create, and rejoice that I may have just learned how to cut a few shops out for my next party, or even just my next healthy, weekday meal.
Seeing as Cinco de Mayo is around the corner, I gave this dish a little Mexican flair. I started with the Sun Harvest free range chicken and marinated it in lime, ginger and cilantro while I figured out how to layer in some vegetables. A mayo-less spicy cabbage slaw was the answer for both inside and out of the chicken tacos. Of course if we're talking Mexican, guacamole is a must and the cherry on top. It's a simple enough recipe, and a time saver with all the natural goods in one location.
I'm so thrilled that my next party or simple weekday meal can include one-stop shopping and organic Sun Harvest products from reasonably priced Smart & Final.
Lime Chicken Tacos with Spicy Slaw and Guacamole
Makes approximately 8 small tacos
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced, about 1 teaspoon
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 small heads of cabbage (I like mixing purple and green) - about 6 cups
- 3 carrots
- Salt to taste
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeeze lime juice
- Zest of lime
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, stems removed, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1.5 pounds of raw chicken breast
- 3 ripe avocados, peeled with seed removed
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, stems removed, coarsely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 chipotle, diced with seeds removed
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha
8 small tortillas - gluten free or coconut paleo wraps
- Prepare the slaw first so the flavors have time to set. In a large glass bowl, whisk together the Dijon, lime, garlic, jalapeno and vinegar. Slowly add in the olive oil.
- Place a grater attachment on a food processor and put the cabbage through in chunks. If you don't have a processor, cut the cabbage in quarters and then thinly slice so you have ribbons. Use a vegetable peeler to create carrot strands and add to the cabbage.
- Take the cabbage and carrots and combine them with the dressing and mix well. Salt and add additional lime if necessary. Allow flavors to rest and develop overnight or for a few hours.
- Place all the chicken marinade ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Pat the chicken dry and take a knife and score the skin in several places on both sides of the breast to allow the marinade to penetrate. Let the chicken sit in the marinade for 15 minutes or up to a a few hours in the refrigerator.
- Mash the avocados in a medium glass bowl. Fold in the rest of the guacamole ingredients. Mix well and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Bring the chicken to room temperature when ready to cook, and place a grill pan over medium high heat. Once warm, add the chicken to the pan, cooking on both sides until opaque all the way through - approximately 10 minutes.
- Wrap the tortillas in tinfoil and place in the oven until warm. Layer the tortillas with the spicy slaw, grilled chicken and guacamole and enjoy!