I need to have a collection of healthy snacks at the ready in my house, or my mind and appetite go wandering for something less nutritious. I like these avocado deviled eggs or banana cookies for a quick protein punch before or after a workout, but I wanted a new snack to throw in the mix. So I combined some nutrient rich ingredients that taste good, are good for you and fill the hunger void.
I do like making my own nut butters like walnut and almond butter. I love peanut butter but too many peanuts can be inflammatory. I've mixed peanuts and cashews together for a knock out butter and have used them in these bites with great success. So pick your favorite nut butter. Make it from scratch if you like by soaking the nuts overnight and toasting them the next day, or just pull them out of the package and combine in a high speed blender with a little honey and salt. If you want a little more sweetness you can throw in dates or maple syrup.
If you have a good nut butter the rest is pretty easy. I combine it with gluten free oats, some superfoods like chia and flax seeds, and lighten it all up with a little honey and coconut flakes. Find the mix that works for you and hopefully you'll also feel satisfied after popping one of these protein packed bites.
Protein Packed Energy Bites
Makes about 36 balls
- 1 cup gluten free oats
- 1 cup natural nut butter
- 3 tablespoons honey (or agave nectar)
- 1/3 cup of coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Mix all ingredients together with your hands until well combined and mixed. Roll into quarter size balls and place on a parchment. You can do a finishing roll through ground flax seeds or chia seeds or eat as is. Keep refrigerated.